Susan Williams Matthews
Susan Williams Matthews focuses her practice in the areas of estate planning and administration, municipal/governmental law, business and corporate law, and land use and zoning. She is a third-generation Catawba County attorney with a deep-rooted respect for the practice of law and passion for continuing her family’s tradition of serving individuals and businesses in the Catawba Valley and surrounding areas.
Susan has the capability and talent typically associated with large law firm attorneys—she began her career with Parker Poe Adams & Bernstein, LLP in Charlotte, North Carolina—but enjoys providing clients with the personal, attentive relationship that can only be fostered in a smaller community. The ability to develop long-term working relationships with clients is part of what drew her back to this area.
Susan regularly assists individuals in the development and preparation of their estate plans and in the administration of a deceased loved one’s estate. She has considerable experience advising businesses of all sizes in a variety of industries.
Susan began her career as a litigator, representing various North Carolina public entities, corporations and individuals before state, federal and appellate courts. This experience better equips her to counsel clients on strategies for minimizing litigation risks, and to develop creative solutions for dispute resolution. Susan is also the primary attorney responsible for the firm’s land use and zoning practice and serves as attorney for 2 local municipalities.
Susan graduated with honors from the University of North Carolina School of Law in 2008 and earned her B.A. from Furman University, magna cum laude, in 2005.
She was named a “Rising Star” for the seventh, consecutive year in North Carolina’s 2022 Super Lawyers publication. Super Lawyers uses a patented multiphase process involving nominations and evaluations by other lawyers as well as independent research to rate attorneys. The “Rising Star” award is given to attorneys who are 40 years old or younger, or have practiced less than 10 years. No more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in North Carolina are selected to receive this honor.
Susan lives in Hickory with her husband Andrew, a Conover native, and their daughter and twin sons.
Areas of Practice
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., with honors (2008)
- Furman University, B.A., magna cum laude (2005)
Admissions to Practice and Professional Memberships
- North Carolina State Bar (2008)
- North Carolina Bar Association (Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law and Young Lawyers Division)
- North Carolina State Courts – Trial Courts, Business Court, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court
- North Carolina Federal Courts – Western, Middle and Eastern Districts
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court – Western District of North Carolina
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
Professional Recognition and Community Involvement
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, “Rising Star” (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022)
- Catawba County YMCA Initiative Campaign, Co-Chair (2020-Present)
- United Way of Catawba County, Member, Board of Directors (2019-Present)
- United Arts Council of Catawba County, Past Secretary and Member, Board of Directors (2012-2018)
- Catawba County Bar Association, Past President, Vice-President, and Secretary (2012-2015)
- Catawba County Chamber of Commerce, Past Member, Board of Directors (2014-2016)
- UNC Law Alumni Association, Past Member, Board of Directors (2013-2016)
- Leadership Catawba Graduate (2013)
Publications and Presentations
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), “And the Defense Wins,” published June 20, 2012 by DRI
- Co-Presenter at North Carolina Municipal Attorneys’ Conference on subdivision bonds and developer defaults (2009)
- North Carolina Banking Institute Journal, “Individual Development Accounts in North Carolina,” 11 N.C. Banking Inst. 343 (2007)
- North Carolina Banking Institute Journal, Publications Editor (2007-2008)
- Eugene Gressman – Daniel H. Pollitt Award for Oral Advocacy (April 2006)
- D.H. Gilpatrick History Scholar at Furman University
- Phi Eta Sigma, Pi Sigma Alpha and Phi Alpha Theta Honor Societies
- Furman University Mock Trial Team
- Member of Chi Omega Sorority