Conover, North Carolina Estate Administration and Probate Attorneys
The loss of a loved one is never easy. When you are grieving, the task of administering a loved one's estate can seem overwhelming. Yet this process is essential so that survivors have the resources and closure they need in order to move forward.
If you must probate a family member's estate in Catawba County, there is no need to navigate the process alone. The services of an experienced estate administration attorney can expedite the probate process, avoid costly mistakes, and even save the estate money. The services of an attorney are considered a benefit to a probate estate; therefore, it many cases, it's the estate, not the executor, that pays the attorney's fees.
Probate Services in Catawba County, North Carolina
Attorneys David Isenhower and Susan Williams Matthews represent executors and administrators in the management of probate estates in Catawba County. If you have been named an executor in a will, or need to probate an estate for which there is no will, you will have many responsibilities, including:
- Filing the will (if any) in the probate court for the county where the deceased lived and opening a probate case
- Gathering, inventorying and valuing the property of the deceased
- Notifying potential heirs and creditors of the death and the probate case
- Maintaining estate assets
- Establishing a bank account for the estate
- Paying ongoing bills of the estate
- Determining whether to hire an accountant to file an estate tax return and pay any estate tax due
- Filing any necessary reports or accountings with the probate court
- Paying any legitimate debts of the estate
- Supervising the distribution of estate assets to heirs or beneficiaries
- Closing the probate estate
Failure to properly carry out these responsibilities, even inadvertently, can result in loss for the estate and even personal liability for you as executor. We have the experience to guide you through legal processes that are unfamiliar to you and help you to execute your duties with confidence. Just as importantly, we never reduce your probate case to a mere set of legal issues, or lose sight of what's really important: helping you and your family move forward after loss.
Responding to Clients' Needs During the Probate Process and Beyond
We take great pride not only in the work we do for clients, but in the lasting relationships we develop with them and their families. In addition to guiding you through every step of the North Carolina probate process, we are also available to help you update your own estate plan in light of the loss of a spouse or other family member.
We invite you to contact us to schedule a consultation and discuss how we can help you effectively and efficiently administer your loved one's estate. We look forward to working with you.